Reproduced with permission from Geller DE et al.1 Particles are not actual size.
- PulmoSphere particles: a different type of dry powder
- Low-density particles are light and porous1
- 85% of the total mass of dry powder is composed of tobramycin sulfate2
- Particle size: median geometric diameter is 1.7 to 2.7 μm1
- TOBI Podhaler delivers medication to the central and peripheral airways3,4
1. TOBI Podhaler [Prescribing Information, 2020]
2. Geller DE, Weers J, Heuerding S. Development of an inhaled dry-powder formulation of tobramycin using PulmoSphere™ Technology. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2011;24(4):175-182.
3. Danforth P. Miller, Trixie Tan, Thomas E. Tarara, John Nakamura, Richard J. Malcolmson, and Jeﬀry G. Weers. Physical Characterization of Tobramycin Inhalation Powder: I. Rational Design of a Stable Engineered-Particle Formulation for Delivery to the Lungs. Mol. Pharmaceutics 2015, 12, 2582−2593.
4. Tiddens HA, Geller DE, Challoner P, et al. Effect of dry powder inhaler resistance on the inspiratory flow rates and volumes of cystic fibrosis patients of six years and older. J Aerosol Med. 2006;19(4):456-465.